|Location||United States, Connecticut, Newington|
|Number of jewels||15|
|Dial numerals||Roman numerals|
Pieces of Time of Newington, CT (est. 1992) is a retail watch store specializing in collectible mechanical watches. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have or visit us at piecesoftime.com for more information.
This a rarely seen Waltham Model 1868 in its original Coin Silver Keywind case. The serial number of 380XXX dates it to its model year of 1868. 148 Years Old and all original in outstanding condition! We seriously doubt one could find a better example.
Because of its original coin silver case, this model is ranked 2-Stars in the Price Guide, meaning there are less than 1000 of this model known to have been made with this case.
- Model 1868 (16KW) with 15 Jewels, Keywind and Key Set from the back.
- Movement screws are all the correct, original domed blued steel.
- Plates are super clean, all with matching serial numbers (as you'll see in the last photo)
- Still has its original stopworks on the mainspring. Most are long gone by this point.
- ALL ORIGINAL Coin Silver case, never polished. Barely worn, with nice tight hinges. The case is stamped “MB” and “13339”. It looks to us that the case may have been made in England.
- Perfect white porcelain dial with Roman numeral hour markers and original blued steel hands. Outstanding condition with no chips or hairlines.
The watch was completely disassembled and properly cleaned and adjusted. The coin silver case was cleaned, but not polished or refinished in any way. As part of a proper service, we did replace the mainspring since the original was broken. The watch is strong with very good amplitude and is keeping excellent time. The worst thing other than some tarnish on the caseback and there is an edge chip at 6 o’clock on the original thick glass crystal.
Comes with a very cool winding/setting key marked “C.W. Tyte Wells, Watchmaker and Jeweller.” Nice little piece of advertising. These were given out to customer as freebees from around the 1870’s & 1880’s. Neat to have one from all that time ago.
Additional Information & Payment terms
All of our watches are guaranteed authentic and our photos are always of the actual watch. Within the US we accept credit card, bank-to-bank wire transfer, postal money order, and PayPal. For International (Non-US) orders we accept Bank-to-Bank Wire transfers only.